socket — Network Communication¶
|Purpose:||Provides access to network communication|
socket module exposes the low-level C API for communicating
over a network using the BSD socket interface. It includes the
socket class, for handling the actual data channel, and also
includes functions for network-related tasks such as converting a
server’s name to an address and formatting data to be sent across the
- Addressing, Protocol Families and Socket Types
- TCP/IP Client and Server
- User Datagram Client and Server
- Unix Domain Sockets
- Sending Binary Data
- Non-blocking Communication and Timeouts
- Standard library documentation for socket
- Python 2 to 3 porting notes for socket
select– Testing a socket to see if it is ready for reading or writing for non-blocking I/O.
SocketServer– Framework for creating network servers.
asyncio– Asynchronous I/O and concurrency tools.
urllib2– Most network clients should use the more convenient libraries for accessing remote resources through a URL.
- Socket Programming HOWOTO – An instructional guide by Gordon McMillan, included in the standard library documentation.
- Foundations of Python Network Programming, 3/E – By Brandon Rhodes and John Goerzen. Published by Apress, 2014. ISBN-10: 1430258543.
- Unix Network Programming, Volume 1: The Sockets Networking API, 3/E – By W. Richard Stevens, Bill Fenner, and Andrew M. Rudoff. Published by Addison-Wesley Professional, 2004. ISBN-10: 0131411551